8.09.2005

Silent as the grave

Haha, I was cleaning out the files on my computer and I came across this. I know I posted something like this a while ago, but still. There are some more too, that in hindsight are actually somewhat amusing. I guess I had a journal on my computer before I started this.

July 17, 2004 (though I actually thought of this a long time ago)
Silent as the Grave
What is silence, really? Can you tell me? Have you heard it, or rather, not? Think hard. When was the last time you have been in complete silence? Can you even remember? No? Me neither.
There is always something. Even now, with the radio off, I can hear the slight buzz of the computer and the droan of the vents above me. And if it wasn’t that it’d be something else. The cars driving by outside, the dog down the street, a family member a floor above me.
Can you think of any times? When you plug your ears is it silent? No, it isn’t. You can either hear what is around you, just a little muted, or this other weird sound, like the ocean.
I sometimes wonder what its like to be deaf. The barely audible creak on the stairs or typing keys would sound like an explosion to someone who has never heard anything and suddenly could.
In a way, I’d be afraid of complete silence. I’d be afraid that had gone deaf, even if it only lasted a little while. I would think something was wrong, defiantly. But I’d also have this unreal excitement, if it was totally, utterly silent. Where you actually could hear a pin drop.

3 comments:

Kaia said...

So, how do you know this sia73? Did they just find your blog and like it? Weird! And what's this, a repost?!?!?!

Kaia said...

And sia73, how long have you been following Sam's blog and our comments?

Samantha said...

For the record it is not an exact repost. There is a lot that is different. Ha.