8.16.2005

Hopelessly Lost

Okay, I am in a very depressed mood right now. (Sorry Dylan. You are trying to talk to me about Peter Pan.) In the last hour I have been wondering around Internet job sites and taking online personality tests. Nothing seems to be working. In fact, instead of being closer to knowing what I want to do with the rest of my life, I am even less sure! GRRR! I don't want to make a decision that I am not going to be happy with ten years from now. What I like to do has little options (e.i. History, English) besides teaching. Kudos to you who are teachers, but it is not for me. And of the jobs that are out there, there is limited availability. For example, I would like to work on Broadway, doing techie stuff, you know, but how many of them do they really need? And I don't want to go to school to be a techie. I'm not a computer geek. I don't know squat about computers. I wish I was more outgoing, and I liked being around people. I want a doctorate, but that is even worse, because then you are so specialized it is unbelievable. I already know I don't want to be a doctor, partly from an extreme detest for hospitals and partly from an overall dislike of Science. Then what? Law? Okay, I'll concede interest, but still there is the I am not outgoing factor. I don't even know if I would be smart enough for a doctorate program. I have a tendency to collect information and then throw it away when it is no longer needed. In fact, that's the story of half my high school career. This is why I don't want to grow up. This is why I detest decision making. This is why I just want to be a student forever. I wonder how much I would have to pay someone to make these decisions for me. Curses upon people who ask the unanswerable questions. Do you know what schools are you interested in? Do you know what you want to go into?Do you know what types of careers appeal to you? No, thank you and good night.

3 comments:

Kaia said...

Here is what I remind myself everytime I think about how I have no clue what I want to do with my life.
1) I don't have to declare a major till Junior Year.
2)Everytime I tell people, "Well, I'm interested in this, but I don't think there are many job opportunities," they always point out that if I find something I love, I will be able to find a career from there. I know it is very Chad Foster-y, and I suppose they have a point. It always seems very näive and "perfect world scenario-ish", but that is what everyone tells me, so right now, I am concentrating on majors. Career opportunities are what advisors are for!
3)Okay, there really isn't a three.

Like I said, I still feel like #2 is very unrealistic, but it must have some merit if that many people tell me this. So go into English or History and see what happens!

Samantha said...

"See what happens." I don't really know how well that will work. Me: "Well, Mom, Dad, I really appreciate you paying for my private college education. I don't really know what I'm going to do with it though. I figure I'll just see what happens. You know how it is." Yeah, right.

Anonymous said...

Sam, you know I'm exactly the same way: a broad range of interests, but no opportunity or desire to pick a job. So don't. You don't have to (I'm not going to) for a long time yet, and as for paying for the private schooling, you're parents are going to have to understand. You're going to college exactly for the reasons you haven't figured out yet. You're not the only one out there feeling how you are.