1.26.2005

Melting Pot

America is a "melting pot" as Jean de Crévecoevr so elequently put it. Americans are all different, yet all one. But I really wonder how different people in America are. We say we value pretty much the same stuff. We actually value pretty much the same stuff. We are all competitive and willing to go to great lenghts to win. We all want recognition for our actions. We all want money. We're talking about scarcity in school. The teacher asked us (as Americans in general) what we would rather do with out money: feed the hungry or buy a new car? What would you do? We don't see the starving first hand, so do we really have to send them money? Why? I don't know. I think we are surrounded by a selfish society. I'm not saying that everyone is selfish, and selfish may be too strong of a word, but I don't think there is a lot of differences between us. Yet, I also don't really think we're one. I would actually say we're a pretty divided country. We don't really support the president. We don't support each other. We divide on important issues. I don't know what else to say. What is becoming of this so called "melting pot?"

No comments: