1.15.2005

Si-lence (noun): the absence or lack of noise

I heard it, for the first time ever, I think. Have you ever noticed that you never hear it? There is always something. For me its the birds outside, the furnace kicking in, a radio, the list could go on forever. But last night I heard it, or rather, I didn't. It was beautiful. It lasted about a minute. I was laying in bed and at first I didn't even realize what was happening. Silence is different than I imagined it would be. I think my mind was trying to make up for the lack of sound by making me think I heard things. My ears started to ring, kind of. It was scary, but also really cool. I enjoyed it for a little while, but alas, the perfectness was shattered by a passing car. I wish I could hear it more often. Even when I am sitting alone outside in the woods, its easy to think that I'm the last person in the world becuase there are no man made sounds, but the animals make noise constantly. I guess though, in a way, if I heard to much silence I might start to go crazy thinking that the world ended or something. Still, it would be nice to hear more of...don't you think?

1 comment:

Kaia said...

Yes, there is always that annoying, ticking clock to shatter that silence, or near silence, eh?