7.07.2005

Protesting, etc...

You know what I think is funny, in a cruel and ironic kind of way? Violent protests or demonstrations. Sometimes the human race can be so dumb, it is almost unbelievable. I think that protest is a great thing. It excercises our right as Americans to freedom of speech, among other things. But seriously, if you want someone to listen to your side, don't be violent. Who is going to agree with your points if people are getting hurt and property is getting destroyed. Granted, whoever you are protesting may not listen to you even if you are peacful, but they will be more likely to. Plus violence gives your cause a bad name. For example, I heard about some rallys in Africa where riot police were called in and a couple hundred people got arrest for being violent. And in Scotland where the meeting is being held, people are putting up signs of support for the causes (end to African poverty, etc...) in their shop windows to save their businesses from being vandalized by rioters. If I was not already in support of this cause I might second guess myself. What are these people trying to support with violence? I would say to myself. Maybe they don't need as much money as they are asking for. I'm not condemning all protesters. Like I said, demonstrations are great. They give the people a voice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The biggest one that I, myself don't understand are those protesting abortion. You hear about people bombing and attacking abortion clinics and people who commit abortions...I'm not a fan of abortion myself unless cercumstances warrant certain types of abbortion... BUT why would "pro life" nuts take lives like that? It's hypocracy if you ask me. And violent protests against violence in other countries. And as for those people who protest war, I'd like to have them be the ones sent to those countries like Iraq and tell the little children that they're going to have to go back to no power and no water because their family isn't tight with Saddam because they don't want our country killing the bad guys... But if you're looking at demonstrations to change things... our government has clauses built into the entire system BUT if you take a closer look at the larger picture... I believe it's the declaration of independance that states any people that are unsatisfied with their current government should be allowed to change it. Do you REALLY think we could knock out our current government and put in place a new one? One word answer: Military. The one who controls the military has the power, more than we realize or care to even think about.

I know I've ranted... but it's a blog, that's the point ^_-