9.05.2005

Why I cried during Catcher in the Rye

I understood it, on a crazy, weird level. Holden wants to avoid growing up. He nearly hates the world around him, society and all. He hates the phoniness. The phoniness! He thinks kids are gold. In a way he is like Ponyboy from The Outsiders. But anyway, I think I cried during some of the parts because I identified with him. I don't want to grow up! I wish kids could stay young forever. I hate phony people. I just posted about that! Whatever though, I just though I'd let you know.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

In case you didn't understand the Ponyboy reference, he recietes a poem to Johnny when they are at the schoolhouse looking at the sunset.

Natures first green is gold
Her hardest hew to hold
Her early leafs a flower
But only so an hour
Then leaf subsides to leaf
So Eden sank to greif
Then dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.

I'm pretty sure that is it anyway. It is all from memory and it has been a good two to three years since I opened that book. He means, anyway, that you are gold when you are a kid, like dawn, and then you grow up and you aren't gold anymore, like day.

Samantha said...

It is by Robert Frost. I forgot to say that.