4.22.2005

Conformity

"There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide. " We are reading Emerson in a class that I am in, and I must say, he has some good ideas. I especially like the one about being original. It is such a good idea, and I wish more people went along with it. I wish I went along with it more. "Imitation is suicide." Ah, this is so true. When you are imitaing someone else, you are killing your own personality. I have a great example of this. I was at a program one time and these five girls were sitting in a line, with their legs crossed the same direction, the same shoes, the same hair style and practically the same close. It was like they were clones. I encourage you to be yourself. Don't worry about being different or getting laughed at. Be true to your values, even if people think your wrong or don't understand. Don't worry about being misunderstood. A lot of people were misunderstood. Some of them turned out to be pretty important to history and science and the world: Jesus, Newton, Galileo, Socartes. Even Emerson says "To be great is to be misunderstood." So be youself, be misunderstood, be great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you asked if you should put lights in your hair for prom! Be different, be misunderstood, look great!

Anonymous said...

What about you, Sam? PDW