9.07.2006

I have always known that to be an American meant to be free, at least essentially. It has always been at the back of my mind though. Even with 9/11, I never really questioned my freedom. When everyone said that the terrorists were threatening it, I didn't get it. My freedom wasn't threatened. They were trying to weaken the counrty, not take it over. I don't think they even thought they could take over the US. Who would think that? We are the most powerful country in the world. They aren't going to just waltz in and take us over. If someone did that, then I would question my freedom. Today I was watching the movie "And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself" and Pancho said to one of the American characters something along the lines of "Go back to your county, where to be born is to be equal. Leave me here to fight for the children." Anyway, it was a good line. Plus it made me think. "Where to be born is to be equal." That is incredible. Amazing really. Think of all the other places where if you are born to certain people, or born in a certain place you are automatically less of a person in the eyes of somepeople. I know I have just switched topics from freedom to equality, but they are a little bit the same. Nevermind...I don't even know what I'm saying...

No comments: